- The topic is selected at the end of the first year of studies
- The supervisor can be either from the UoA or the IoE
- It is elaborated during the second year of studies in two stages: 1. Research question, design and research method during the third semester of study 2. Completion –during the fourth semester
- frequent communication with the supervisor is important.
MA dissertation Seminar
it takes place in three stages:
1st in October, when an open discussion with the supervisors takes place
2nd in February, when the research question, bibliography and research methodology are presented by the students
3rd in May, when the course of the dissertation completion (data, development, conclusions) is presented.
Attendance is compulsory.
Length and Technical characteristics of the MA dissertation
It is written in Greek or English. It can be from 17000 to 20.000 words without the appendices. It includes (mandatory) a summary in Greek and in English.
It should be typed in Arial or Calibri 12, line spacing 1,5, in A4 paging.
On the cover there should be:
the two institutions logos, the student’s name, the supervisor’s name, the title and the academic year (there is an example on this link).
It is submitted at the end of the fourth semester (June 15) in three hard copies and a CD.
There is a possibility of a three-month extension (until September 30th ) approved by the PGB after the student’s application and the recommendation of the supervisor.
After that, a second extension can be approved by the PGB for very serious reasons, for a semester (meaning by the end of February).
In case of a second extension, a special registration fee is required.
Examination of the MA dissertation
The dissertation is examined by a two-member examination committee-appointed by the PGB. It can be constituted by tutors of the UoA or the UCL IOE.
The students present their dissertation orally to the committee and respond to questions and/or comments.
If the content of the MA dissertation is not satisfactory the committee may:
- require additions or corrections and re-submission at a date determined by the committee (only in case the MA dissertation is submitted on time, or during a first extension. This is not an option for dissertations submitted during the second extension)
- fail the dissertation. In that case the student is dismissed from the Programme
- In the case of disagreement between the members of the committee, the PGB appoints a third examiner. The final grade of the MA dissertation is decided by the extended examination committee, without repetition of the oral examination.